Materials Science and Engineering Admissions: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- I have submitted my application and all my required documentation. How can I check my application status?
You can check your application status and To Do List by following the instructions provided here and here.
- What information and which documents does the Admissions Committee review in order to make an admission decision?
The MSE Admissions Committee carefully evaluates all of your credentials (application, narrative, GRE, English proficiency test scores, transcripts, and letters of recommendation) when making their decision. The committee then makes a decision about admission to the program. You can find a list of requirements for admission to the program here.
- My GRE scores are lower than the listed minimum recommended scores. Will my application for admission automatically be denied?
No; the MSE Admissions Committee carefully evaluates all of your credentials (application, narrative, GRE, TOEFL, transcripts, and letters of recommendation) when making their decision. The committee then makes a decision about admission to the program. The GRE revised scores are recommended as 154 or above, 154 or above, and 4 for the verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing components, respectively, which are advisable based on our experience with students’ success in the program.
- My English proficiency test scores are lower than the listed minimum scores. Will my application for admission still be reviewed?
No; the MSE department will not review your application if your English proficiency test scores are below the minimum scores listed on the Office of Admissions website (here). You may retake the English proficiency test to raise your score to the minimum score or higher, and submit the new scores to the Office of Admissions.
- I am missing some of the required documentation for the application. Can my application be reviewed anyway?
No; applications will not be reviewed until all required documentation has been submitted.
- I know my test scores and GPA and other credentials. Can you tell me if I have a chance of being admitted before I submit my application with all the required documentation?
No; you must officially submit an application with all required documentation before any evaluation of your credentials can be made.
- I have already submitted my application. How can I see which documents I am still missing?
You can check your To Do List in Galaxy. The To Do List provides a list of outstanding items that are required before your application will be considered complete. You can check your To Do List by following the instructions provided here.
- I was not able to submit my unofficial documents with my application. How can I submit my documents?
Applicants are given two chances to upload their documents. The documents uploaded must be legible PDF photocopies of the original academic document and will be considered unofficial, but can be used to process your application for admission. File requirements for uploading documents can be found here.
First you have the option to upload your documents through your application. If you missed one or loaded the wrong document during the application, you are given one more chance to reload all of your unofficial documents after you submit your application by logging back in to your UT Dallas graduate application account. Once you have used both of those upload options, and if you still need to submit documents, you must send the documents by mail to the Admissions Office using the mailing address here. The Admissions Office does not accept documents via email.
- One of my recommenders is having trouble submitting a recommendation letter for me using the online system. What should I do?
Letters of recommendation can be emailed to the Graduate Admissions Coordinator directly from the recommender’s email account. The letters cannot come from the applicant.
- I am seeking a Research or Teaching Assistantship position. What should I do?
The Materials Science department only has Research Assistantships (no Teaching Assistantships). The availability of Research Assistant positions varies each semester and is based on available funding for each faculty member. Applicant files of admitted students are made available to the Materials Science faculty for funding consideration. The funding decision may take some time for review. If a faculty member determines they have available funding for support, an offer will be extended.
At this time, Research Assistantships are not offered towards the Master’s program.
- I want to know if I am qualified to join a MSE faculty member’s group, but I have not applied to the program yet. Can I contact the faculty members before I submit my application?
No. The MSE faculty cannot determine if you are eligible to join their group until you have applied and been admitted to the program. Only after you have been admitted may you contact faculty members.
- I am interested in applying for scholarships and fellowships. Where can I find information for available scholarships and fellowships?
Please review the Jonsson School website for information on available Graduate Scholarships and Fellowships here.
- I received my acceptance / offer of admission letter. What documents do I need to submit before the semester starts?
After admission, submit official transcripts and other official documentation before enrollment. For guidelines on how to submit, see the Admissions Documentation Guidelines for Applicants and Admitted Students page.
To view which documents require official submission, you can check your To Do List in Galaxy. The To Do List provides a list of outstanding items that are required before you will be allowed to register for classes. You can check your To Do List by following the instructions provided here.
- Is it necessary to submit GRE/TOEFL scores through ETS during the application process before the deadline, or can it be submitted after getting the offer for admission?
Unofficial scanned copies of official test scores can be uploaded using the online graduate application for admission review. Official test scores should be submitted to UT Dallas directly from the testing agency after admission.
- I am a current PhD candidate at another university. I have completed some course work. Am I eligible to apply and transfer my credits if admitted?
Yes, you can submit an application for admission. If you have already taken some classes toward your PhD, and they are equivalent to courses offered at UTD, you can petition to transfer the credits, course by course. We will only accept transfer credits from US institutions. The course(s) you wish to transfer must follow the UTD Transfer of Credit policy and follow the Degree Requirements for Materials Science and Engineering listed in the Graduate Catalog. Transferability of courses cannot be guaranteed before admission.
Have a question that is not listed here? Please check the Graduate Admissions website for more information related to your question. If you cannot find the answer you need, please contact the Office of Admissions directly using their contact information listed here.
If your question is specific to the Materials Science and Engineering program, please review the Materials Science and Engineering Graduate Admissions web page for more information related to your question. If you cannot find the answer you need, please contact our Graduate Admissions Coordinator.