Orlando AucielloEndowed Chair Professor
1976 Ph.D. (Physics), National University of Cuyo, Argentina
1973 M.Sc. (Physics),National University of Cuyo, Argentina
1970 Electronic Engineering, National University of Cordoba, Argentina
Seven R&D 100 Awards for various innovative technologies
AAAS and MRS Fellow
President of the MRS in 2013
University of Chicago Distinguished Performance Award
Associate Editor of Applied Physics Letters
Fundamental and applied research in different fields, namely:
- Science and technology of multicomponent oxide thin films and application to devices:
- Science and technology of nanocarbon thin films:
• R&D on ferroelectric thin films and application to non-volatile random access memories (FeRAM): studies of films synthesis and integration into memory structures; development of new ferroelectric materials
• R&D on revolutionary transition metal oxide (TMO) with carbon doping to produce a new generation of resistive change memories based on novel quantum mechanical correlated electron-induced metal-insulator Mott transition (work performed jointly with Prof. Carlos Paz de Araujo (Chair Professor, University of Colorado-Colorado Spring, and Symetrix Corporation)
• R&D on novel high-dielectric constant oxide super-lattices for new generation of nanoscale CMOS gates
• R&D for oxide films for photovoltaic energy generation / storage devices,
• R&D for high-dielectric constant films for high-frequency devices,
• R&D on piezoelectric thin films for MEMS/NEMS devices (sensors and actuators);
• R&D on novel ultrananocrystalline diamond (UNCD) films (developed and patented by Auciello and colleagues), and application to multifunctional devices:
• RF MEMS/NEMS switches and other MEMS/NEMS devices
• Electron field emitters
• Implantable biomedical devices (artificial retina, dental implants, hips, knees),
• Electrodes for neural stimulation,
• New generation of Li-ion batteries with UNCD-coated anodes, membranes and inner
walls of battery case
• UNCD-based biosensors,
• UNCD-coated mechanical pump seals
• R&D on graphene films and application to nanoelectronic devices.
Industrial and Entrepreneurial Activities
- Co-founder of Advanced Diamond Technologies, Inc. This company was co-founded by O. Auciello, J.A. Carlisle, and Neil Kane in 2004. This is a company spun-off from a National Laboratory to commercialize the ultrananocrystalline diamond (UNCD) thin film technology developed and patented at Argonne. The founders were able to pioneer the first breakthrough model for spinning-off a company from a National Laboratory, whereby DOE approved that the founding scientists and Argonne have equity in the company. This activity started a new model for spining-off companies from National Laboratories, and other companies were spun-off using the model pioneered by the Argonne scientists (2004-present).
- O. Auciello is currently equity holder, investor, and consultant to ADT and work on joint projects as well as help on technology directions for ADT.
- O. Auciello co-founded a new Company named Original Biomedical Implants (OBI), which focuses on the development and commercialization of a new generation of implantable biomedical devices. The Company has been incorporated in Delaware in July 2013 and already got first funding from an investor from Mexico.
Patents (17 as of 2013)
"RF-MEMS Capacitive Switches with High Reliability" C. L. Goldsmith (MEMTronics), O. Auciello (Argonne National Lab), J. A. Carlisle (ADT, Inc.), S. Sampath (IMT, Inc.), A.V. Sumant (Argonne National Lab.), R. W. Carpick (UPenn), J. Hwang (Bethlehem, Pa.), D. C. Mancini (Argonne National Lab.), and C. Gudeman (IMT, Inc.), United States Patent No. 8,525,185, September 3, 2013.
“A Method to Grow Carbon Thin Films Consisting Entirely of Diamond Grains 3-5 nm in Size and High-Energy Grain Boundaries”, N. Naguib, J. Birrell, J. Elam, J.A. Carlisle, O. Auciello, US Patent #7,128,889, October 31, 2006.
Books (18 as of 2013)
“Science and Technology of Integrated Ferroelectrics: Past Eleven Years of the International Symposium on Integrated Ferroelectrics Proceedings”, C.A. Paz de Araujo, O. Auciello, and R. Ramesh (Eds.), Gordon and Breach Publishers, vol. 11 "Ferroelectricity and Related Phenomena" (2000).
"Plasma Diagnostics," vols. 1 & 2 "Surface Analysis and Interactions," O. Auciello and D.L. Flamm (Eds.), Academic Press, 1990. (Translated to Chinese).
Book Series (3 as of 2013)
"Science and Technology of Multifunctional Thin Films", O. Auciello and R. Ramesh (Eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003-2010.
Book Chapters (27 as of 2013)
“Ultrananocrystalline Diamond (UNCD) Films for Ophthalmological Applications”, O. Auciello, P. Gurman, A. Berra, M. J. Saravia, R. Zysler, Book “Diamond Based Materials for Biomedical Applications”, Roger Narayan (Ed.), Woodhead Publishing, Ltd (2013) pgs.151-169.
“Science and Technology of Ultrananocrystalline Diamond (UNCDTM) Film-Based MEMS and NEMS Devices and Systems”, O. Auciello, in Science and Technology of UNCD Films II, Ch. 12, O. A. Shenderova and D. M. Gruen (Eds.), Elsevier (2013) pgs. 383-417.
“Science and Technology of Bio-Inert Thin Films as Hermetic-Encapsulating Coatings for Implantable Biomedical Devices: Application to Implantable Microchip in the Eye for the Artificial Retina”, O. Auciello and B. Shi, Ch 3 in “Implantable Neural Prostheses 2: Techniques and Engineering Approaches, Eds David D. Zhou and Elias Greenbaum. Springer (2010) p. 63
“Science and Technology of Ferroelectric Films and Heterostructures for Non-Volatile Ferroelectric Memories: Past Eleven Years and the Future”, C.A. Paz de Araujo, O. Auciello, and R. Ramesh, in “Science and Technology of Integrated Ferroelectrics: Past Eleven Years of the International Symposium on Integrated Ferroelectrics Proceedings”, "Ferroelectricity and Related Phenomena", Gordon and Breach Publishers vol. 11 (2000) pag.xvii-lxxxi.
Special Journal Publications (25 as of 2013)
MRS Bulletin vol. 35 (April 2010): “Ultrananocrystalline and Nanocrystalline Diamond Thin Films for MEMS/NEMS Applications”, A. V. Sumant, O. Auciello, R. W. Carpick, S. Srinivasan, and J. E. Butler, pp. 1-8.
Physics Today (Invited Article), "The Physics of Ferroelectric Memories," O. Auciello, J.F. Scott, R. Ramesh, July (1998) p. 22-27. (~1500 Citations).
Invited Review Articles (45 as of 2013)
“Status Review of the Science and Technology of Ultrananocrystalline Diamond (UNCDTM) Films and Application to Multifunctional Devices”, O. Auciello and A. V. Sumant, Diamond and Related Materials, 19 (2010) 699–718.
“Are Diamonds a MEMS Best Friend?,” O. Auciello, S. Pacheco, A.V. Sumant, C. Gudeman, S. Sampath, A. Datta, R.W. Carpick, V.P. Adiga, P. Zurcher, Z. Ma, H.C. Yuan, J.A. Carlisle, B. Kabius, J. Hiller, IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 8, (2008) 61-75.
“Science and Technology of Thin Films and Interfacial Layers in Ferroelectric and High-Dielectric Constant Heterostructures and Application to Devices,” O. Auciello, J. of Appl. Phys. 100 (2006) 051614.
"A Review of Composition-Structure-Property Relationships for PZT-Based Heterostructure Capacitors," O. Auciello, K. D. Gifford, D.J. Lichtenwalner, R. Dat, H.N. Al-Shareef,
K.R. Bellur, and A.I. Kingon, Integrated Ferroelectrics vol. 6 (1995) 173-187.
Scientific Articles (about 450)
“Integration of Piezoelectric Aluminum Nitride and Ultrananocrystalline Diamond Films for Implantable Biomedical Microelectromechanical Devices”, M. Zalazar, P. Gurman, J. Park, D. Kim, S. Hong, L. Stan, R. Divan, D. Czaplewski, and O. Auciello, Appl. Phys. Lett. 102 (2013) 104101; doi: 10.1063/1.4792238).
“Interface-Controlled High Dielectric Constant Al2O3/TiOx Nanolaminates with Low Loss and Low Leakage Current Density for New Generation Nanodevices”, G. Lee , B-K Lai , C. Phatak, R. S. Katiyar and O. Auciello, J. Appl. Phys. 114 (2013) 124307, http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1063/1.4811810.
“Cell Growth on Different Types of Ultrananocrystalline Diamond Thin Films”, B. Shi, Q. Jin, L. Chen, A. S. Woods, A. J. Schultz, and O. Auciello, Special Issue Coating Deposition and Surface Functionalization of Implants for Biomedical Applications, J. Funct. Biomaterials 3, 1. (2012), ISSN 2079-4983. J. Funct. Biomater 3(3) (2012), 588-600.
“Controllable Giant Dielectric Constant in Al2O3/TiO2 Nanolaminates”, W. Li, Z. Chen, R. N. Premnath, B. Kabius, and O. Auciello, J. Appl. Phys. 110 (2011) 024106-1-8.
Fundamentals of Ultrananocrystalline Diamond (UNCD) Thin Films as Biomaterials for Developmental Biology: Embryonic Fibroblasts Growth on the Surface of (UNCD) Films”, B. Shi, Q. Jin, L. Chen, and O. Auciello, Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 18, issue 2-3 (2008) 596-600.
“Piezoelectric/Ultrananocrystalline Diamond Heterostructures for High-Performance Multifunctional Micro/Nanoelectromechanical Systems,” S. Sudarsan, J. Hiller, B. Kabius, O. Auciello, Appl. Phys. Lett. 90 (2007) 134101.
“In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of Ultrananocrystalline Diamond for Coating of Implantable Retinal Microchips,” X. Xiao, J. Wang, J. A. Carlisle, B. Mech, R. Greenberg, R. Freda, M. S. Humayun, J. Weiland, and O. Auciello, J.Biomed. Materials 77B (2) (2006) 273-281.
“Toward the Ultimate tribological Interface: Surface Cemistry and Nanotribology of Ultrananocrystalline Diamond,” Sumant, A. V., Grierson, D. S., Gerbi, J. E., Birrell, J., Lanke, U. D., Auciello, O, Carlisle, J. A. and Carpick, R. W., Advanced Materials 17, 1039-1045 (2005).
“A New Hybrid TixAl1-xOy Gate Dielectric Layer for Next Generation Ultra-High Capacitance Density CMOS Gates,” O. Auciello, W. Fan, B. Kabius, S. Saha, and J.A. Carlisle, C. Lopez and E.A. Irene, R.A. Baragiola, Appl. Phys. Lett. 86 (2005).
“Ferroelectricity in Ultrathin Perovskite Films,” D.D. Fong, G.B. Stephenson, S.K. Streiffer, J.A. Eastman, O. Auciello, P.H. Fuoss, C. Thompson, Science vol. 304 (2004) 1650-1653.
“Low Temperature Growth of Ultrananocrystalline Diamond,” X. Xiao, J. Birrell, J.E. Gerbi, O. Auciello and J.A. Carlisle, J. Appl. Phys. 96 (2004) 2232-2239.
"Materials Science and Integration Bases for Fabrication of (BaxSr1-x)TiO3 Thin Film Capacitors with Layered Cu-Based Electrodes," W. Fan, B. Kabius, J.M. Hiller, S. Saha, J. A. Carlisle, O. Auciello, R.P.H. Chang, and R. Ramesh, J. of Appl. Phys. 94 (2003) 6192-6200.
“DNA Modified Nanocrystalline Diamond Thin Films as Stable, Biologically, Active Substrates,” W. Yang, O. Auciello, J.E. Butler, W. Cai, J.A. Carlisle, J.E. Gerbi,D.M. Gruen, T. Knickerbocker, T. Lasseter, J.N. Russell, L. M. Smith, R. J. Hamers, Nature Mater. 1 (2002) 253-257.
"Development of Edge Field Emission Cold Cathodes Based on Low
Work function Cu-Li Alloy Coatings," J. C. Tucek, A. R. Krauss and D. M. Gruen, O. Auciello, N. Moldovan and D. C. Mancini, S. Zurn and D. Polla, J. Appl. Phys. B18 2000) 2427-2432.
“Surface Structure of GaN(0001) in the Metal-Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition Environment,” A. Munkholm, G.B. Stephenson, J.A. Eastman, C. Thompson, P. Fini, J.S. Speck, O. Auciello, P.H. Fuoss, and S.P. DenBaars, Phy. Rev. Lett. 83 (1999) p. 741-744.
"Studies of Metallic Species and Oxygen Incorporation During Sputter-Deposition of SrBi2Ta2O9 Films, Using Mas Spectroscopy of Recoiled Ions," J. Im, O. Auciello, A.R. Krauss, A.M. Dhote, D.M. Gruen, R. Ramesh, and R.P.H. Chang, Appl. Phys. Lett. 72 (1998) p. 2529-2531.
"Polycrystalline La0.5Sr0.5CoO3/Pb(ZrxTi1-x)O3/La0.5Sr0.5CoO3 Ferroelectric Capacitors on Platinized Silicon with No Polarization Fatigue," R. Dat, D.J. Lichtenwalner, O. Auciello, and A.I. Kingon, Appl. Phys. Lett vol. 64 (1994) p. 2673-2675.
"A New Rotating Target Holder for Laser Ablation- and Ion Beam Sputter-Deposition of Multicomponent and Multilayered Thin Films," O. Auciello, J. Emeric, J. Duarte, and A. Illingworth, J. Vac. Sci. and Technol. vol. A11 (1993) p. 267-270.
"Electro-optic Characterization of Ion Beam Sputter-Deposited KNbO3 Thin Films," T.M. Graettinger, S.H. Rou, M.S. Ameen, O. Auciello, and A.I. Kingon, Appl. Phys.Lett. vol. 58 (1991) p. 1964-1966.
"Formation of Thin Superconducting Films by Laser Processing Method," J. Narayan, N. Biunno, R. K. Singh, O.W. Holland, and O. Auciello, Appl. Phys. Lett. vol. 51 (1987) p. 1845-1847.
"Creator's Signs," by O. Auciello (American Poetry Anthology, Vol. VI, 1986).
"Creation," by O. Auciello (American Poetry Anthology, Word of Praise, Vol. III, 1987).